Les Singes: The Life of Monkey Boy

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Why Monkey Boy?

I receive tons of fan letters, email, and Instant Messages each day. Most of them want me to post more pictures of my dreamy self and then there are those interested in learning more about Monkey Boy. Why Monkey Boy they ask?

Allow me to explain, however this could be difficult to visualize since I don't have any photos. (there may be a VHS tape out there somewhere) Basically it began as a college prank. It involved me putting on a roommate's black trenchcoat. Along with the coat I removed the lycra mesh cover from his bike helmet and put it over my face, covering my chin and forehead. Only the back half of my head was exposed. I looked sort of like a martian at this point. The look was okay, but I wasn't interested in looking alien. Grabbed some socks and tucked them inside the mesh over my ears. Finally put another pair of white socks over my hands. The costume is tough to picture, but my friends/roommates say the antics were what made Monkey Boy legendary.

Completely sober I would race out of our apartment and run up to random people, scaring the shit out of them. I would then run off quickly into the bushes only to reappear minutes later. (In hindsight this was a horribly tramatic stunt of mine so save the hate mail for another time) Getting a little more rambunctious and bolder I would charge out to passing cars that were searching for parking spots. I would stare the driver down hopping up and down like I imagined an urban monkey would do. While jumping up and down like a fool, I would simultaneously create high pitched monkey sounds and a hunchback type posture.

Needless to say this attracted quite a bit of attention, but my friends and roommates absolutely loved it. Monkey Boy did make one more Seattle appearance and his final appearance to date occurred in Vancouver B.C. during Halloween of 1994. I put the costume on one more time at my friends urging and then hit the saucy Vancouver, Canada clubs. The bouncer wouldn't allow me to wear the mask unless I told him what my costume was. I gleefully responded "I am Monkey Boy". The alpha male Canadian didn't see humor in this. I didn't care though..I didn't go all the way up to Canada to be denied. I put on the mask a little while later on the dance floor and then laid the smack down*. Ever seen a breakdancin' monkey? Want to? My number is 206-555-1234 and I am available for birthdays, holidays, bachelorette parties and any other time you're too cheap to hire out the real mascots or "entertainment". Thanks for your patronage!

*Footnote: If memory serves me correctly, we did get booted from the Vancouver club for my antics. No worries since no one was ever injured in all three of Monkey Boy's appearances. The Monkey Boy nickname was also used before college to describe the relative ease in which I scaled fences and trees. This might explain why I eat two bananas a day.