Les Singes: The Life of Monkey Boy

Friday, December 10, 2004

Tales of the 31 year-old something

Sentimental or sarcasm... not sure which direction to go. Well let's try sentimental this time around. Thirteen years ago today one of my five brothers, Eliot, died in a car accident. It's unbelievable to me it has been thirteen years since that most unfortunate day in 1991. I was just a freshman in college living with another brother of mine while trying to get my bearings, preparing for my first round of college finals. My brother, Eliot, was 25 and just got married about four months prior. He was an inspiration to me on so many levels. The two of us looked quite a bit alike with our blond curly hair despite our seven year age difference. We both loved to be the center of attention, but I think that had more to do with the large size of our family.

December 9th, 1991 was quite possibly the longest day of my life and will never be forgotten. You can basically say there was an Egan prior to the sudden death of my brother and my life after this terrible tragedy. I am very thankful for who I am today and thank all my friends and family for shaping and supporting me through the years. I do wish my brother could be with me here today to meet my wife, see my shortcomings, successes, and ability to IM like no one's bidness. Thankfully there's not one single day that has passed in those thirteen years where I haven't thought about him. That's perhaps the greatest gift I have been given... lasting memories. I am never really sure how to best commemorate this day, so I guess I thought I would share. Thanks for reading and I promise E-FO will be back to his usual rants shortly. Au revoir!

Egan