Les Singes: The Life of Monkey Boy

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Activities in the men's locker room

I work out a few times a week at a downtown Seattle gym. I generally just go in for a swim during my lunch and do my 2000 meters and head back to work. The most interesting part about this experience isn't whether or not I beat my best time, it's the male "members" in the locker room. (pun intended)

As my college friends like to say, it's a Penis Parade. Modesty is required while in the locker room. Most men just don't seem to give a shit what they are doing while there. The following are things commonly done with clothes on, but not so in my club's men's locker room. Chatting with other members, clipping toe nails, watching tv, urinating, drying hair and styling it, number two, flexing in the mirror, washing hands, push-ups, chatting on a cell phone and my favorite is the adjustment of one's nipple rings. A couple of those activities may be fibs, but wouldn't surprise me to see. "People, yes you have great bodies and you look fabulous in the buff, but for the love of god put some freakin' clothes on while you cake on the extra strong hold LA Looks gel."

I feel pretty comfortable in my own skin, but I feel the locker room is the last place to let everyone know it's your birthday. I have a cross dressing "swimming friend" at the gym. He's a very strong swimmer, but it is a little odd to see him put on purple fishnet stockings and high heels after swimming. Not that there's anything wrong with that.. seriously! Did I mention I swim 2000 meters a few times a week?

BLOGGING: I have fallen into the blogging blackhole thanks to Sprizee. Yesterday I caught myself thinking about whether or not a complete stranger had a blog. I pondered something like this, "I wonder if she has a blog and if she does would she bitch or complain about her job or gloat about how great it is to work with the less fortunate?". Just today, I even IMed someone randomly after reading their blog. I need help!