Les Singes: The Life of Monkey Boy

Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day ladies!

Well well well, my favorite holiday is here. I know this is a special day for many couples. Many of them will get engaged or married today, go out for dinner with their significant other, or maybe even exchange some tender moments in front of the warm fire while sipping some fine wine.

However, there are a couple flip sides to this equation, those not in relationships and spouses. First of all, why must those single folks feel so bad about these 24 hours? There's absolutely nothing wrong with being single. I want all you single folk, especially the women, that read this blog to understand that your plight is understood. Don't fret if you don't have a date, didn't get a red envelope, didn't eat any Sweethearts, didn't get a peck on the cheek, or didn't get a call from someone you're pining after. It is perfectly fine to be single today and any other time of the year, including New Year's Eve.

Secondly, my real discussion regarding Valentine's Day is who it's geared towards. Is it not geared toward the female much more so than the male? Listen to the radio and/or watch tv and everything is about the woman. The man can buy a woman all sorts of jewelry, but not once did I hear any advertisements soliciting goodies for the man. As expected Victoria's Secret did seem busier than normal yesterday. I know this since I was camped out in front of the store watching patrons come and go with cute pink overstuffed bags. This begs the question, when is Husband's Day? I am admittedly not the most romantic person in the world, but I don't think I am the least romantic person either. My spouse does a good job on Valentine's Day, but how many guys have a disdain or dread for this day because of the huge pressures to "perform"? I personally feel the bar is raised on this day for no apparent reason. Valentine's Day is a 365 day a year holiday. Shouldn't those of us in relationships celebrate this holiday year round by cherishing our spouse each and every day? An "I Love You" is definitely in order so here it is... "I love you Hallmark!

P.S. N-PO, je t'aime!