Les Singes: The Life of Monkey Boy

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Foot in Mouth Disease

To be this flexible again. Spent lots of time with our friends and their kids this past weekend. Most infants tend to suck their thumbs or fingers, however Baby E. decides her toes are tastier.

I often feel like Baby E. since I'm known to put my foot in my mouth from time to time. The following is a classic tale of such a case. I routinely use Outlook shortcuts to send and manage incoming work email quickly. In my old position, we sat in groups of four at a cubicle.

My French co-worker and I would exchange* emails about our often napping cubicle mate, Mr. Tired. I kid you not Mr. Tired was always asleep on the job.

One day he was passed out cold at his desk for the last 30 minutes of his shift. In an attempt to wake him we called his phone near his head, sat on his desk and openly talked smack about him. None of this woke him up.


Fast forward in time a bit. My French co-worker and I are emailing back and forth about how lazy Mr. Tired is one summer day. I hit ALT S, a PC shortcut for Send and not Forward, and then turned around. I heard Mr. Tired's email Inbox make a noise and immediately knew I had fucked up. I sent a scathing email about Mr. Tired directly to Mr. Tired and not my intended recipient, French co-worker. Miraculously I was somehow able to explain my way out of the mistake by lying through my teeth. To this day I don't know if Mr. Tired understood my email or just downplayed the whole thing. I'm guessing he thought the whole incident was a dream.


*still exchange emails today about our new loud mouthed cubicle mate that thinks the whole world revolves around him. Salespeople are completely clueless I tell you and so are bloggers while I am at!