Les Singes: The Life of Monkey Boy

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The [Blog] Politics are Dancing

This ought to be a fun topic. LINKS. On most blog sites you will find in the left or right margin a listing of links. There are many different names for these links such as Blogs I Read, NSFW Blogs, or simply Man-Children. More often than not these links are provided to direct traffic to other blogs that he/she reads and just might happen to enjoy also. Sometimes they can even be links to non-blog websites such as non-profits or personal interest sites. I am fairly new to the blogging world, but I notice a vicious cycle that goes accompanies these links.

I will seen my site linked off of someone's blog only to be removed days later. In one case a person suggested I add their site to my links section, giving me permission to do so. Excuse me, but I didn't know I had to ask. After reading said blog I decided against adding a link for numerous reasons. All the sudden that person is no longer commenting on my blog as if I slapped them in the face. What is the etiquette for this sort of thing?

It's like this weird sort of give and take blog relationship. I am honored someone enjoys my site enough to add a link to my blog on theirs. However, this doesn't mean I will necessarily return the favor. There are many factors behind this decision, but it's not to be taken personally. I know of many folks are afraid to take off dead or inactive blogs from their links section for fear of the repercussions. Usually I will check out someone's blog after I get comments on my site. If I like what I see after a while, I may or may not add your site to my links. Curious how others decide whose link to include and whose not to include. Hopefully I keep most of you entertained with stalker friendly information about myself and my life. No bad feelings are intended if I don't include you in my links section. Au revoir!