Les Singes: The Life of Monkey Boy

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Lesson not quite learned #13

#13: contacts good; migraines bad. I really ought to learn from my past mistakes, but sometimes I just fail to see the light. Last night I played soccer again without my glasses or contacts. See I have a really really hard time putting contacts in my eyes. Typically I will ask my wife for assistance since I am so wimpy. It can and routinely does take me about 15-20 minutes to get those puppies in my eyes. My wife tells me there's nothing more humorous than watching me try to put them in. She wears contacts often and therefore can put them in seconds, making me feel extremely inept. I struggle to get them to work, using half a bottle of rinse solution per install. My technique: open the mouth wide in hopes that will lower the eyelids of my Cro-Magnon brow thus facilitating the installation of contacts. Yes, I do overthink the whole process. (see solution below)

Over the past couple months though I have decided to chance it and play without any vision aids. Well, damnit... that won't happen again anytime soon. Got home from our victorious effort and my vision got noticably blotchy. I now recognize this as the glorious beginning to a migraine. Opened up the medicine cabinet, downed a couple Excederin migraine tablets, drank lots of water, and went to bed. What do you know? Migraine is now gone. I had a horrible migraine last Fall so I will avoid them at all costs even if that means drinking lots of water and going to be bed before 1:30am. Yes, you are right, I will be wearing my contacts to next week's match regardless. Now you can see why I am a slow learner with this sort of stuff.