Les Singes: The Life of Monkey Boy

Friday, January 14, 2005

New name and tip for E-FO

Today I was called "The Kiss of Death". Yes, it was meant in the nicest possible way by a fellow swimmer at the gym. She felt obligated to say this since whenever I show up, I get my own lane. Inevitably if there are four of us in the pool's four lanes.. the newest arrival will always jump in her lane and not mine. Divine intervention? Doubt it. I gave her some of my tricks to scare potential lane mooches, but she has yet to impliment them. My main tip is to swim anything other than freestyle. I typically choose butterfly or backstroke since it intimidates the hell out of swimmers. If that doesn't work, try flip turns that are just slightly off the mark while your lane mooch is chillin' at whatever end of the pool. And if those two don't work, it's birthday suit time. Finally, I prefer the name Grim Reaper over Kiss of Death for those tracking this sort of stuff.

Tip: don't make fun of clumsy people. I poked fun at a friend's clumsiness on Tuesday afternoon. Karma being the bitch it is ... later that night I was acting like a spaz and rammed both of my hands into a Handicap parking sign outside a grocery store parking lot. Yes, I did do a fair amount of swearing after that, but inside I was also laughing. Not more than 6 hours earlier I was ridiculing my friend for how clumsy she had to be to walk into walls, chairs, etc. Then, like a putz, I jump into a stationary parking sign cutting my hand. Not to mention the cut is in the webbing between my index and ring finger on my right hand. The ever so slight pain is a subtle reminder to stay humble and to not talk smack about others, or at least until the cut is fully healed.