Les Singes: The Life of Monkey Boy

Friday, November 19, 2004

I went to an NBA game and a fight broke out

Soapbox alert!

Ouch, not sure if many of you saw the ugly tape of last night's NBA game in Detroit. It was quite possibly the "most ugliest*" sports scene I have ever seen. It will be on the news over and over again in the coming days and makes the Rodney King L.A. beatings look tame. What a black eye this incident will leave for fans, players, and the general public. I personally am not a huge basketball fan, but I couldn't help feeling sad for everyone involved.

Basically (this is a very succinct description) a huge fight broke out with 45 seconds left in the game between bitter rivals Detroit and Indiana. The game was in Detroit and a fan threw a beverage at one of the NBA's most volatile players, Ron Artest, of the Pacers. He then thought it would be a good idea to run into the Detroit stands and throw punches at Detroit fans. Of course this led to a whole chain of unsightly events on the sideline which ultimately canceled the game and turned the arena into utter mayhem.

This sort of crap makes me shameful for what sports represents. There were kids at this game witnessing first hand the chaos on and off the court. If you don't happen to know, I play soccer and I am aware things can get heated while playing. I know tempers can flare in high profile team sports. It seems many athletes and fans are emotionally fragile. Last night's game will change the way I look at sports for a long time to come. What the fuck is wrong with people? ...athletes and fans alike. Remember that a Boston Red Sox fan died during the Red Sox playoff run this year in after hour celebrations. No one wins in last night's NBA debacle. Everyone looked like an ass and I hope to hell something like this won't happen again, but I sadly doubt it. People listen carefully: fighting doesn't solve anything and this will more than likely cause me to think twice before I decide to witness another professional sporting event in the near future.

* "most ugliest" was how one of the ESPN announcers, Bill Breen, described the melee last night.

Egan steps off his soapbox now.

Some good news, it's not currently raining in Seattle and it isn't expected to all weekend long! I did also save a bunch of money on my car insurance. Not really, but I thought it sounded funny.